Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Test Results - Whew!

Had my latest oncology appointment this morning, and my myeloma is still indolent for the time being. Whew. Blood test numbers are excellent and there is no indications of secretions into my bloodstream. Although my doctor said it could remain indolent for a "quite a while", I am very aware it could progress to the next stage very quickly. My wife and I were very relieved at the news. As soon as we got home, we booked our plane tickets for New York City, part of my bucket list. The trip is also part of our 5-year wedding anniversary, and we intend on really enjoying ourselves.

I asked him about the odd bone pain I was experiencing in my right leg and lower and upper arms. He said it could be myeloma-related neuropathy, but it could also be arthritis. My mother has been suffering with arthritis for years, and it started in her early 40s. This could be genetic. So what are the next steps? More blood work and another skeletal exam in July. Should the myeloma be progressing, my doctor will call a city hospital to determine if I am a candidate for stem cell and high-dose chemo, and then the real journey begins.

In other news, I've been a fan of The Office (UK) for years, and finally gave The Office (US) a try. I love both of them now, and I highly recommend them for a laugh and a distraction. The writing and dead-pan deliveries are brilliant. If you need a laugh, check out this series. Case in point (from the UK version):

No comments: