Saturday, March 31, 2012

Miracle Drug? Dare we hope?

One of my favourite tech sites, Gizmodo posted about a "miracle drug" that targets any cancerous tumour cells for all types of cancer. It works by blocking a protein called CD47 which tells the immune system not to kill healthy blood cells. Cancer cells also use this protein to trick the immune system and stop it from attacking them. Ah, you sneaky cancer cells. For more info, check the story here. The sites also posts several cancer updates, which you can check out here. Great for some cutting edge news on cancer treatments.

On a personal note, April 16th, 2012 marks the 3rd anniversary of my official multiple myeloma diagnosis. It continues to be stable at stage I, and I have yet to need treatment. The bimonthly blood tests and yearly skeletal surveys continue. My doctor decided to skip the bone marrow biopsy this year. I'm not complaining.

My life has take a sharp turn in recent months, with my dear wife leaving our marriage. I miss her every day, but I cannot say this was unexpected. I know I was the best husband I knew how to be, but there are times when shit happens. That pretty much sums things up. Here's to moving forward.

4 comments:

thalidomide birth defects said...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

tim's wife said...

Oh gosh. I am sorry to hear about your marriage ending. I guess this happens quite a bit when relationships are thrown into crisis mode. Best wishes moving forward.

linda man said...

Hi Paul,

I apologize for posting this on your blog, I just didn’t know how else to contact you! My name is Linda and I’m the production assistant for an online health community called (www.wegohealth.com ). I came across your blogwhile doing some research into the online Blood Cancer community. I was so impressed with the great resource you have created for the greater Blood Cancer community.

Just wanted to drop you a quick note because we recently launched a new video platform called WEGOHealth.tv and are in the process of building a Blood Cancer Channel featuring the advice, information and wisdom of Health Activists like yourself. I think you would be an excellent addition to the channel and I would love to chat with you about possibly creating a video with us!

Please check out our site; http://tv.wegohealth.com/ and get back to me at your convenience if you have any interest.

I know this note is a little out of the blue and I understand if it’s not something you would be interested in, but I didn’t want you to miss out on the opportunity.

Thanks,

Linda
Production Assistant
WEGO Health
Lindam@wegohealth.com

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi Paul,

Healthline just designed a virtual guide of the effects of chemotherapy on the body. You can see the infographic here: http://www.healthline.com/health/cancer/effects-on-body

This is valuable med-reviewed information that can help a person understand the side effects they are experiencing from their chemo treatment. I thought this would be of interest to your audience, and I’m writing to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://highwaytohellwithmyeloma.blogspot.com/

If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternative to help get the word out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Please let me know your thoughts and if I can answer any questions for you.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com