Sunday, April 19, 2009

Diagnosis... The Best Kind of Bad News

Hi... I'm just some guy with cancer. I was officially diagnosed with stage I multpiple myeloma on April 16th, 2009. Myeloma is cancer of the plasma cells in the bone marrow. They multiply and don't die, crowding out other blood cells. The disease leads to softened bones, bone lesions, kidney problems and increasing risk of infection. Luckily, I do not yet have any bone lesions and my plasma cells are at 15%. My doctor says the myeloma is indolent, or inactive, for the time being at least. I'll need another biopsy in 6 months, and blood test every 2 months. Should levels of beta-2 microglobulin increase, I'll need to start treatment immediately. My doctor hinted it will consist of Vel/dex followed by an autologous stem cell and chemotherapy procedure. Whew. The news was very surreal, and on the drive back from the appointment, I asked my wife to confirm that I truly heard I have cancer. Oh, did I mention there was a build up to that moment?

Blood tests led to concerns which led to more tests, the discovery of monoclonal gammopathy, and a bone marrow biopsy. On March 26th, I had an appointment to learn about the biopsy results. I learned I had smoldering myeloma and had more tests. I was in a fog for days... you name the emotion, and I had it - fear, anger, sadness, frustration. After 3 weeks of waiting, I had my next appointment, and got the rough(er) news. To my surprise, getting the "official" cancer diagnosis was actually calming. I was through feeling panicked and helpless. Cancer was here, so I couldn't worry about getting it anymore. The diagnosis pushed me to a new level of coping, and of making choices. I choose to make the most of the time I have left, to enjoy time with my wife, my family, my friends. To remember that my job is not my life. To take the time to smile, laugh, live, and as a colleague of mine (and cancer survivor) said, "to enjoy every sandwich".

So this news brings me to this blog. I created it to for several reasons. I want to share and document my journey with myeloma as a form of therapy, to help me work out my thoughts about life and this disease, and maybe even to help other people with myeloma. Don't worry, it won't be all cancer talk. You'll see.

No comments: